Barnstaple care home welcomes alpacas for special open day
- Credit: Archant
The mayor of Barnstaple also joined residents and staff at Oaklands Care Home
Residents and staff at Oaklands Care Home in Barnstaple were joined by some four-legged friends and the town’s mayor for a special open day on Friday.
The care home welcomed Cadenza Alpacas, with residents, staff, family and friends all able to stroke and feed the animals.
Those who couldn’t make it outside were even able to take in the experience, with one alpaca going in to greet residents.
“They’ve gone down very well,” said John Hall, who owns the home with his wife Sonia.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had them here before, and for the residents who can’t get outside, they love it – they don’t often get to see huge animals like that in the lounge!”
“We are so proud of what we do here, so we wanted to show everyone what we do.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 9 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
“It’s a great way of getting lots of generations together and it’s also a way of teaching children to mix with mature people.
Mayor of Barnstaple, councillor Julie Hunt also visited the home, which cares for people over the age of 65 and those with dementia.
Mrs Hunt spent her previous term as mayor trying to get the town ‘dementia friendly’, and plans to showcase Oaklands’ work to guests from Harstad, Barnstaple’s twin town in Norway, when they visit later in the year.
She said: “There are some fantastic paces for dementia care in Barnstaple.
“When we visited Harstad, they really emphasised that people come to places such as this to enjoy their lives.
“When I came here I felt it was on the same par and I was amazed.”