Barnstaple cage fight champs
THREE Barnstaple Combat Sports members returned from Plymouth last week with South West cage fighting titles. Josh Huxtable fought in the amateur under-70kgs class. His opening bout against Torquay six-footer Lyndon Jones saw the Barnstaple fighter on th
THREE Barnstaple Combat Sports members returned from Plymouth last week with South West cage fighting titles.
Josh Huxtable fought in the amateur under-70kgs class.
His opening bout against Torquay six-footer Lyndon Jones saw the Barnstaple fighter on the attack with fast hands and feet before finally strangling his opponent into submission.
In the final he met the Plymouth area champion Ross 'the pitbull' Hill. Again Huxtable's fast hands and feet had his opponent pinned against the cage, before the Barnstaple man was taken to the floor and held in an ankle lock which he struggled to overcome. But the Barnstaple fighter managed to get back in the top position and kept up a barrage of elbows and punches to the body until the final bell to earn victory.
You may also want to watch:
Kyle Bishop gained a knockout victory over Paul Gonzalas from Bournemouth in the 65kg class in a contest declared by judges as the fight of the night.
Countering a head kick, Bishop sent his opponent to the floor with a big right hand in the opening round and held him there with an arm bar. The Bournemouth man broke free and there followed a barrage of punches from both men before he was sent to the floor for a second time, but the bell intervened.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
In the second round, Bishop countered a body kick with another big right hand that knocked his opponent out.
Barnstaple's Danny Da-cruz completed the club's success when he took the South West middleweight title at full pro-level against Paul Hutchings from Plymouth.
He proved too strong for his game opponent, who was forced to submit after three-and-a-half minutes of the opening round.