Barn and hay bales ablaze
A combine harvester and 80 bales of hay have been involved in a fire this afternoon that fire crews are still dealing with.
FIRE crews have been battling a barn fire near South Molton this afternoon (Mon).
A fire spokesman said: “Several calls were received reporting a barn on fire at a farm near Rapscott, so one pump from South Molton, two pumps from Barnstaple and the water bowser from Barnstaple were mobilised.”
The fire crews arrived at around 12.45pm and discovered that 80 large bales of hay were well alight.
A combine harvester was also involved in the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Fire fighters used breathing apparatus sets, and several jets and compressed foam appliances to try to tackle the blaze.
They also used a ventilation fan to vent the area of smoke, which can combust.
- 1 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 2 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 3 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 4 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 7 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
At 2.30pm a compressed air foam jet was being used to protect an adjoining bar, and just before 3pm it was reported that steady progress was being made.
The incident is still ongoing, with the barn being allowed to burn out.