Barn and hay bales ablaze
A combine harvester and 80 bales of hay have been involved in a fire this afternoon that fire crews are still dealing with.
FIRE crews have been battling a barn fire near South Molton this afternoon (Mon).
A fire spokesman said: “Several calls were received reporting a barn on fire at a farm near Rapscott, so one pump from South Molton, two pumps from Barnstaple and the water bowser from Barnstaple were mobilised.”
The fire crews arrived at around 12.45pm and discovered that 80 large bales of hay were well alight.
A combine harvester was also involved in the blaze.
Fire fighters used breathing apparatus sets, and several jets and compressed foam appliances to try to tackle the blaze.
They also used a ventilation fan to vent the area of smoke, which can combust.
- 1 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 2 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 3 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
- 4 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 5 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 6 Store giants say Merry Christmas 9,000 times over
- 7 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 8 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 9 ‘What a Beautiful Noise' takes to Queens stage
- 10 Young Jack strides out again for charity
At 2.30pm a compressed air foam jet was being used to protect an adjoining bar, and just before 3pm it was reported that steady progress was being made.
The incident is still ongoing, with the barn being allowed to burn out.