Barn and hay bales ablaze
A combine harvester and 80 bales of hay have been involved in a fire this afternoon that fire crews are still dealing with.
FIRE crews have been battling a barn fire near South Molton this afternoon (Mon).
A fire spokesman said: “Several calls were received reporting a barn on fire at a farm near Rapscott, so one pump from South Molton, two pumps from Barnstaple and the water bowser from Barnstaple were mobilised.”
The fire crews arrived at around 12.45pm and discovered that 80 large bales of hay were well alight.
A combine harvester was also involved in the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Fire fighters used breathing apparatus sets, and several jets and compressed foam appliances to try to tackle the blaze.
They also used a ventilation fan to vent the area of smoke, which can combust.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
At 2.30pm a compressed air foam jet was being used to protect an adjoining bar, and just before 3pm it was reported that steady progress was being made.
The incident is still ongoing, with the barn being allowed to burn out.