Band blows own trumpet at West of England championships
- Credit: Archant
South Molton Town band comes away with sixth-placed finish
SOUTH Molton Town band finished sixth in their first attempt in the third section of the West of England Brass Band Championships.
Fifteen bands competed at the Riviera Centre in Torquay, playing the song ‘Partita for Band’ (Postcards from Home) by Philip Wilby.
Judges Frank Renton and Steve Pritchard-Jones were vey complimentary of the band’s performance.
Musical Director, Gil Taylor, said: “This is a great achievement by the band, and a reward for all the hard work put in at rehearsals prior to taking part in the Championships.”
You may also want to watch:
After promotion from the fourth section in January, the South Molton band faced harder competition in their first attempt at the third.
They now look forward to their next contest in Weston-Super-Mare on Sunday May 18 and the busy summer season to follow.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 8 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 9 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 10 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty
If you play a brass instrument and may be interested in joining the South Molton Town Band for future events, contact chairman Ray Kingdon on 01769 573113, or musical director Gil Taylor on 01392 438840. They are particularly interested in recruiting Trombone players and tuned percussion.
Rehearsals take place in the South Molton band room on a Tuesday and a Thursday from 7.30 – 9.30pm.