Bake Off is a success for Chemo Appeal
- Credit: Archant
FROM berry-topped delights to gluttonous chocolate treats, the annual High Bickington Bake Off wowed visitors and topped its fundraising targets.
Around 37 cakes sat on display on Saturday at High Bickington Community Hall, baked by both amateurs and professionals in a bid to be crowned winner of three different categories.
The event raised a total of £1,416 for the Chemotherapy Appeal – beating the impressive £1,277 raised last year.
Three budding bakers also came away with success, with Amy Tucker’s Rainbow Surprise cake stealing the best showstopper.
Helen Isgrove De’ath won the best individual item for her strawberry cupcakes and Michele Campling took the prize for best whole cake with her lemon and blueberry ‘Cake for Ruth’.
You may also want to watch:
The event first came about when organiser Jen Wells wanted to contribute to the care of her own mum Ruth, who was treated at the existing chemo unit from 2006 to 2012 but died in January 2013.
Rachel McMaster, who helped organise the event, said: “We are just delighted that we managed to beat last year’s fundraising total.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
“We’re quite pleased that we have raised so much money by hosting a tea party.
“The weather was horrible but there was so much going on with face painting and cake decorating as well that everyone had a great time.”