Axminster Carpets marathon at Exeter Races
Devon marathon chase the feature at Exeter on Friday
Racing features the renowned Devon Marathon at Exeter on Friday (Dec 2) where horses with proven stamina will go head to head in the four mile race.
Long term sponsors Axminster Carpets take the name of the race which always has a competitive field and often produces a shock long-priced winner. Favourites rarely win, and in the past ten years, none have led the field home.
Nick Williams has saddled the winner twice in the past seven years with Dead Eyed Dick, at 16-1, winning in 2005 and The Risky Viking in 2007. In this year’s renewal course winner Diamond Brook could represent the South Molton-based trainer.
Other long priced winners include last year’s victor C’Monthehammers who was a 10-1 chance, Present M’Lord was an 8-1 chance in 2009 and un 2008 Deep Quest won with Rodi Greene onboard at 12-1.
You may also want to watch:
The class 2 Harry Dutfield Memorial Novices’ Chase run over 2m3f is also on the card and past victors include Buena Vista who has since won two Pertemps finals at the Cheltenham Festival and Exmoor Ranger who won this year’s United House Gold Cup at Ascot and will next be seen in Cheltenham’s big handicap chase on December 10.
Also on the card is the Jim Parsons 66th Birthday Conditional Jockeys’ Novices’ Handicap Hurdle which gets the card underway at 1pm. The British Stallions Studs Supporting British Racing EBF National Hunt Novices’ Hurdle has attracted its usual strong entry, a 3m RNLI Saving Lives at Sea Novices’ Chase and a bumper.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 8 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
Exeter runs a free bus service to and from the city centre and children aged 17 and under race free. Grandstand and Paddock tickets are also available at just �10 each for anyone who pre-books before midnight on December 1 (visit exeter-racecourse or call 0844 5793005 and quote DEC022011)