Award for ‘considerate’ Fullabrook contractor
Firm recognised for care shown during construction of giant 22-turbine scheme.
THE company that built the Fullabrook Wind Farm has won an award for ‘considerate construction’.
John Sisk & Sons were recognised for the care shown towards the local neighbourhood, general public, site staff and the environment during construction of the 22-turbine scheme, near Ilfracombe.
The firm, contracted by wind farm developer ESB International, was awarded a gold award by the Considerate Constructors Scheme, one of only 88 UK sites to do so this year.
The awards panel noted the exceptional measures taken to assist neighbours and help the local community at the extensive site area.
Examples included relocating water troughs and water supplies for stock grazing areas, supplying and installing field gates to allow landowners to access fields during construction and dismantling temporary fencing to enable stock entry and tillage.
The team also arranged the gritting and salting of primary roads during the winter freeze plus the digging out of stranded travellers.
- 1 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 2 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 3 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 4 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 5 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 6 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 7 North Devon Weekend Football Results
- 8 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 9 Refresh your New Year’s wardrobe by donating unwanted clothes for a good cause
- 10 Young carols singers do families proud on festive charity mission
Using equipment kept on site, members of the site team helped the emergency services to remove debris from a nearby road accident and to make the road surface safe again.
On the site itself, the panel highlighted an incentivised safety initiative for operatives with the involvement of an occupational health company for advice and training, plus an excellent on-site canteen stocked with local produce.