Award for Barnstaple furniture firm
A BARNSTAPLE family-run furniture shop has fought off stiff competition to pick up third place at a major industry award ceremony. Barrow Clark Furnishers, in Bear Street, was recognised nationally for its service and professionalism towards suppliers at
A BARNSTAPLE family-run furniture shop has fought off stiff competition to pick up third place at a major industry award ceremony.
Barrow Clark Furnishers, in Bear Street, was recognised nationally for its service and professionalism towards suppliers at the Association of Independent Stores (AIS) Annual Member of the Year Awards.
The third-generation independent business, which began life in Braunton in 1965, supplies middle, to top-end furniture including beds, sofas, chairs, dining and bedroom furniture, as well as carpets, flooring and curtains.
Co-director Rob Barrow, grandson of the late Derrick Barrow, said the award was totally unexpected:
You may also want to watch:
"It came completely out of the blue; we were not trying to win an award which makes it even more special," he said.
"To be named in third place in our category in a national competition is a fantastic achievement and we are really touched to receive such an accolade. We are passionate about furniture and look to work with around 150 suppliers to deliver customers the quality they expect and it is an honour to be recognised in doing this."
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 New shop to open at Affinity Devon near Bideford
- 10 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
As the largest buying group in the country, AIS enables independent businesses to source products and services on the same scale as the larger multi-national stores.
"AIS is fantastic for both the consumer and the retailer," added Mr Barrow. "Barrow Clark is able to benefit from remaining a completely independent business, owned and run by our family, while at the same time being able to join with other businesses to negotiate with manufacturers and suppliers to create and supply the right products at the right price."
Euan Kelway-Bamber, merchandise director at AIS, said: "By looking after their suppliers, they will surely look after Barrow Clark and enable them to meet the promises that they make to their customers.