Author seeks memories of Braunton
- Credit: Archant
Villagers being invited to supply memories or pictures to help North Devon author Avril Stone create a new book on the village.
BRAUNTON folk are being invited to help write a unique record of their village and its life during the past century.
Their memories – and photographs – will be woven into a book by well known North Devon author Avril Stone, whose millennium Book of Barnstaple is still a best-seller.
“The more distant past is a wonderful foundation story of the village, but this book will be mainly about nearer years, covering the last century or so,” said Avril.
“There’s a wealth of wonderful stories out there that need to be recorded before they are lost in time.”
Among the subjects she would like to hear about are the trades and traders, fishing and farming, life and work around Braunton’s Great Field, wartime and the American ‘invasion’, Chivenor and its village links, the railway and well-known characters.
Avril’s other books include her first about her former home village of High Bickington and one about the Mull of Kintyre where she and her husband lived before returning to North Devon. Her early years were spent at Muddiford where her parents owned the New Inn.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 7 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
- 8 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 9 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 10 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
Avril will be at Braunton Museum every Thursday from March 21 between 10am and 12.30pm, with villagers invited to drop in and share their memories or photographs. If you cannot make these dates, contact Avril on 01271 549235 or email email@example.com.