Atlantic Games open in Bideford on Sunday
The Atlantic Waterports Games open in Bideford on Sunday, bringing around 350 competitors from Britain, France, Portugal and Spain to contest five days of water-based competitions across North Devon.
The under-21 competitors will take part in events in the sea and on the beaches at Croyde, Woolacombe and Saunton, on the river at Bideford and on Roadford Lake.
Opening day in Bideford kicks off with a farmers market and cultural village on the Quay from 10am and events and entertainments throughout the day.
At 5pm a stunning procession will take to the streets of Bideford, with all the competitors in their tradition dress, led by the Sol Samba band. This will be followed by the official opening and raising of the flags on the main stage on Bideford Quay.
There will be daily events at each venue from July 25-28: Bideford - rowing and sea kayaking at high tide; Croyde - surfing and surf kayaking 10am to 5pm; Saunton Sands - surf life saving 10am to 5pm; Roadford Lakes - sailing and windsurfing 10am to 5pm; Westward Ho! - kite surfing 10am to 5pm.
You may also want to watch:
Full details on the official games website: www.atlanticwatersports.co.uk or www.awg2011.co.uk
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 8 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 9 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 10 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty