Atlantic Games open in Bideford on Sunday
The Atlantic Waterports Games open in Bideford on Sunday, bringing around 350 competitors from Britain, France, Portugal and Spain to contest five days of water-based competitions across North Devon.
The under-21 competitors will take part in events in the sea and on the beaches at Croyde, Woolacombe and Saunton, on the river at Bideford and on Roadford Lake.
Opening day in Bideford kicks off with a farmers market and cultural village on the Quay from 10am and events and entertainments throughout the day.
At 5pm a stunning procession will take to the streets of Bideford, with all the competitors in their tradition dress, led by the Sol Samba band. This will be followed by the official opening and raising of the flags on the main stage on Bideford Quay.
There will be daily events at each venue from July 25-28: Bideford - rowing and sea kayaking at high tide; Croyde - surfing and surf kayaking 10am to 5pm; Saunton Sands - surf life saving 10am to 5pm; Roadford Lakes - sailing and windsurfing 10am to 5pm; Westward Ho! - kite surfing 10am to 5pm.
You may also want to watch:
Full details on the official games website: www.atlanticwatersports.co.uk or www.awg2011.co.uk
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 6 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!