Atherington is in the money
North Devon village hits lottery jackpot in ITV’s People’s Millions competition
VILLAGERS in Atherington have hit the lottery jackpot by winning a television cash prize to finish a community playing field project that has been 40 years in the making.
The village’s Pavillion Project went head-to-head with Sedgemoor’s Citizens’ Advice Bureau as part of this year’s People’s Millions competition.
Delighted residents discovered they’d won �26,000 of Big Lottery funding live on ITV Westcountry on Wednesday night.
“We are so thrilled to have won,” said Atherington Children’s Playing Field Committee member Jenny Boyce.
You may also want to watch:
“The money means we can now get to work finishing the pavilion in time for next September.
“The roof is going on next week and once that is done, we’ll be able to furnish, decorate and equip the building with toilets, central heating, flooring and kitchen, as well as indoor games equipment, tables and chairs.”
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 3 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 4 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 5 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
Viewers were asked to phone in and vote for the project they’d like to see win the money.
“So many people have worked so hard on this project and so many people have supported us in the surrounding area,” added Jenny. “We’d like to thank everyone who voted for us – we couldn’t have done it without you.”