Atherington is in the money
North Devon village hits lottery jackpot in ITV’s People’s Millions competition
VILLAGERS in Atherington have hit the lottery jackpot by winning a television cash prize to finish a community playing field project that has been 40 years in the making.
The village’s Pavillion Project went head-to-head with Sedgemoor’s Citizens’ Advice Bureau as part of this year’s People’s Millions competition.
Delighted residents discovered they’d won �26,000 of Big Lottery funding live on ITV Westcountry on Wednesday night.
“We are so thrilled to have won,” said Atherington Children’s Playing Field Committee member Jenny Boyce.
You may also want to watch:
“The money means we can now get to work finishing the pavilion in time for next September.
“The roof is going on next week and once that is done, we’ll be able to furnish, decorate and equip the building with toilets, central heating, flooring and kitchen, as well as indoor games equipment, tables and chairs.”
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
Viewers were asked to phone in and vote for the project they’d like to see win the money.
“So many people have worked so hard on this project and so many people have supported us in the surrounding area,” added Jenny. “We’d like to thank everyone who voted for us – we couldn’t have done it without you.”