Atherington is in the money
North Devon village hits lottery jackpot in ITV’s People’s Millions competition
VILLAGERS in Atherington have hit the lottery jackpot by winning a television cash prize to finish a community playing field project that has been 40 years in the making.
The village’s Pavillion Project went head-to-head with Sedgemoor’s Citizens’ Advice Bureau as part of this year’s People’s Millions competition.
Delighted residents discovered they’d won �26,000 of Big Lottery funding live on ITV Westcountry on Wednesday night.
“We are so thrilled to have won,” said Atherington Children’s Playing Field Committee member Jenny Boyce.
“The money means we can now get to work finishing the pavilion in time for next September.
“The roof is going on next week and once that is done, we’ll be able to furnish, decorate and equip the building with toilets, central heating, flooring and kitchen, as well as indoor games equipment, tables and chairs.”
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 7 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 10 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
Viewers were asked to phone in and vote for the project they’d like to see win the money.
“So many people have worked so hard on this project and so many people have supported us in the surrounding area,” added Jenny. “We’d like to thank everyone who voted for us – we couldn’t have done it without you.”