Atherington is in the money
North Devon village hits lottery jackpot in ITV’s People’s Millions competition
VILLAGERS in Atherington have hit the lottery jackpot by winning a television cash prize to finish a community playing field project that has been 40 years in the making.
The village’s Pavillion Project went head-to-head with Sedgemoor’s Citizens’ Advice Bureau as part of this year’s People’s Millions competition.
Delighted residents discovered they’d won �26,000 of Big Lottery funding live on ITV Westcountry on Wednesday night.
“We are so thrilled to have won,” said Atherington Children’s Playing Field Committee member Jenny Boyce.
You may also want to watch:
“The money means we can now get to work finishing the pavilion in time for next September.
“The roof is going on next week and once that is done, we’ll be able to furnish, decorate and equip the building with toilets, central heating, flooring and kitchen, as well as indoor games equipment, tables and chairs.”
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
Viewers were asked to phone in and vote for the project they’d like to see win the money.
“So many people have worked so hard on this project and so many people have supported us in the surrounding area,” added Jenny. “We’d like to thank everyone who voted for us – we couldn’t have done it without you.”