Asda Bideford puts the community at its heart
Local store trials countrywide charity initiative
ASDA’S Bideford store has been chosen by the company’s headquarters to lead the way in trials for the firm’s new “Community Life” project.
As part of the pilot, the Clovelly Road supermarket will be inviting local voluntary groups to use the store for meetings and boost fund-raising efforts with display space and donations from the company.
Bideford is only one of 23 stores throughout the UK to be chosen to test the initiative that if successful, will be extended to all of Asda’s 600 stores and next year.
Bideford store manager, Amanda Hubbard, said: “This scheme gives all our customers an opportunity to nominate their favourite community group or charity – just take one of the leaflets from the community board in the store and let us know who you want our donation to go to.”
You may also want to watch:
Peter Wilcox, Asda Bideford’s community champion, said: “We want to open our store up for the local community – to be the place that local groups could meet, where our local police can talk to people about the work they do, where customers can get advice on health matters and where voluntary groups can promote their activities.
“What’s really exciting is the ‘Chosen by you, given by us’ project where Asda puts in extra money to support local groups and charities or by giving our time to help local projects. Our customers can nominate and vote for the charity, school or project of their choice.”
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
A brand new community board will be displayed at the front of the store to enable customers to make a donation to one of the three nominated local charities, groups or community projects.
The container with the most money at the end of each month will be topped up with a donation from Asda, and the total presented to the winning group. The money collected in the other two containers will be presented to the other two local groups.