Art for our sakes
Personally I’m not a huge fan of Damien Hirst’s work, but I happen to think on this occasion he’s got it right.
His giant pregnant sculpture Verity will be a wonderful addition to Ilfracombe harbour, standing as a colossus to symbolise rejuvenation, struggle, rebirth, and triumph.
Isn’t this exactly what Ilfracombe is trying to do? This is art doing exactly what it says on the tin – challenging opinion and commentating on life.
I am astonished by some of the comments by locals, especially those being offensive to pregnant woman – one even going as far as to make a disgusting comment about pregnant woman on benefits. That’s just one comment too far, and of ill-informed irrelevance.
There have been other suggestions made of possible alternatives, one referring to a sunken vessel in the harbour.
You may also want to watch:
They say that would be more appropriate, but I don’t see how. Surely that would say that Ilfracombe itself is “sunken”.
The people of Ilfracombe should be proud that they have one of the greatest living artists living amongst them – one who appears to be willing to rejuvenate the town.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
It just seems to me that anything Hirst does gets shot down in flames by some.
Let’s face it, Ilfracombe needs all the help it can get and shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, especially when they don’t understand the concept!
Come on people, get behind modernity and find the positive here for a change.