Art centre vies for hotel expansion
Actor heads Plough Arts Centre proposal to purchase next door Globe Hotel
AMBITIOUS plans have been unveiled for a large-scale redevelopment of the Plough Arts Centre in Torrington.
Plans centre on a proposal, headed by patron, local actor Joss Ackland, to expand the venue by purchasing the Globe Hotel next door.
A development committee is being set up to oversee the project and the securing of funds to forward the proposal is said to be at a “critical phase”.
The chance to buy the Globe is seen as a “once in a generation opportunity” and director Richard Wolfenden-Brown and management have had a series of meetings with various local bodies to secure support for the idea.
You may also want to watch:
The Plough is a registered charity and the only independent arts centre in the North and West Devon. It is hoped that the combined buildings would increase the space the centre has available for its current and planned activities.
Further information is set to be released next Tuesday, when negotiations are expected to have been completed.
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 4 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 5 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Financial support for survivors of domestic violence in North Devon
- 8 Torridge councillors meet at AGM and re-elect councillor Ken James as Leader
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Fresh funds to continue rough sleeper support in North Devon