Art centre vies for hotel expansion
Actor heads Plough Arts Centre proposal to purchase next door Globe Hotel
AMBITIOUS plans have been unveiled for a large-scale redevelopment of the Plough Arts Centre in Torrington.
Plans centre on a proposal, headed by patron, local actor Joss Ackland, to expand the venue by purchasing the Globe Hotel next door.
A development committee is being set up to oversee the project and the securing of funds to forward the proposal is said to be at a “critical phase”.
The chance to buy the Globe is seen as a “once in a generation opportunity” and director Richard Wolfenden-Brown and management have had a series of meetings with various local bodies to secure support for the idea.
You may also want to watch:
The Plough is a registered charity and the only independent arts centre in the North and West Devon. It is hoped that the combined buildings would increase the space the centre has available for its current and planned activities.
Further information is set to be released next Tuesday, when negotiations are expected to have been completed.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 7 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 10 Team to lead community-focussed Gazette into new era