Arrests follow death of stag
Two local men bailed until December
TWO local men have been arrested in North Devon after a stag was killed by a rifle shot in the Shirwell and Loxhore area near Barnstaple.
Police were alerted that the stag had been shot on land believed to be owned by the National Trust near the villages. Inquiries at the scene led to the eventual arrests of the two men, aged 35 and 38, and the seizure of two rifles from a local address.
Sergeant Graham Thomas one of the neighbourhood team leaders for Barnstaple, said: “ We have been receiving increased complaints of persons using guns and poaching deer on National Trust land which has a significant impact on the local community and the land owners.
“I would urge anyone with information regarding these incidents to contact police at the Barnstaple station.”
You may also want to watch:
The two men were taken to Barnstaple Police station where they were later released on bail until Monday,December 19. Anyone with information should contact Police at Barnstaple quoting crime reference CB/11/3318 (telephone 101).
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 6 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 7 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton