Arrests follow death of stag
Two local men bailed until December
TWO local men have been arrested in North Devon after a stag was killed by a rifle shot in the Shirwell and Loxhore area near Barnstaple.
Police were alerted that the stag had been shot on land believed to be owned by the National Trust near the villages. Inquiries at the scene led to the eventual arrests of the two men, aged 35 and 38, and the seizure of two rifles from a local address.
Sergeant Graham Thomas one of the neighbourhood team leaders for Barnstaple, said: “ We have been receiving increased complaints of persons using guns and poaching deer on National Trust land which has a significant impact on the local community and the land owners.
“I would urge anyone with information regarding these incidents to contact police at the Barnstaple station.”
You may also want to watch:
The two men were taken to Barnstaple Police station where they were later released on bail until Monday,December 19. Anyone with information should contact Police at Barnstaple quoting crime reference CB/11/3318 (telephone 101).
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 5 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021