Appledore was buzzing, me 'antsome'
APPLEDORE was buzzing on Sunday when the annual carnival swept through the seaside village. A parade of imaginatively-costumed characters were led by Appledore Pirates chairman John Cole, fellow pirate Terry Bowden and young pirate, 10-year-old Brandon B
APPLEDORE was buzzing on Sunday when the annual carnival swept through the seaside village.
A parade of imaginatively-costumed characters were led by Appledore Pirates' chairman John Cole, fellow pirate Terry Bowden and young pirate, 10-year-old Brandon Bailey.
The trio of Jolly Rogers were followed by the Appledore Band, who shared the helm with 11-year-old carnival queen Laura Cloke and her entourage, attendants Charlotte Strangeway, 11, and Georgia Passey, 8, and fairies Ellie Macdonald, 7, and Sophie Dearing-Eastmond, 8.
You may also want to watch:
A samba band added a further splash of colour and sound; but if the crowds lining the quayside were moving to a beat, it probably had as much to do with avoiding a swarm of flying ants that chose to make an unwanted appearance in time for the grand parade.
The air was a-buzz with the flying insects that fly out to mate when the weather is hot and humid.
- 1 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 2 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 5 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 6 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 7 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 8 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 9 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
But there were no flies on best pub winners the Beaver Inn, who impressed judges with a stunning take on the hit film Avatar.
Other rosettes went to Appledore "pilot" Terry Bailey, who welded two bikes together to create a pedal-powered bi-plane.