Appledore lifeboat station in mourning
THE flag at Appledore lifeboat station is at half mast in mourning for Evelyn Paley, the benefactor of its B Class Atlantic 75 inshore lifeboat the Douglas Paley. The vessel was donated to the RNLI in memory of Mrs Paley s late husband Air Commodore Dougl
THE flag at Appledore lifeboat station is at half mast in mourning for Evelyn Paley, the benefactor of its B Class Atlantic 75 inshore lifeboat the Douglas Paley.
The vessel was donated to the RNLI in memory of Mrs Paley's late husband Air Commodore Douglas Charles Paley.
Air Commodore Paley MRCS, LRCP, FDS, a maxillofacial surgeon, had a great interest in boats of all types and was a keen sailor, with his crew respresenting his RAF hospital in yacht racing within the Solent and Kiel Canal.
Since donating the boat Evelyn had become a good friend, regular visitor and avid supporter of Appledore RNLI and she would be sadly missed, said station spokeswoman Nikki Tait.
You may also want to watch:
"She took the greatest pleasure in watching the Douglas Paley launch during her visits to the station and honoured us all by taking a prominent part in the film produced at Appledore by the RNLI to encourage people to think of the RNLI in their wills."
The Douglas Paley arrived on station at Appledore in December 1997 and has been launched for emergencies 375 times to date and been involved in rescuing 287 people from the estuary and surrounding coastline.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
- 10 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted