Appledore gig rowers take on Channel challenge
- Credit: Archant
The ladies are hoping to raise enough to buy a new training boat as they prepare for the gruelling five-hour row.
A GROUP of intrepid gig rowers will be taking on a 23-mile challenge and rowing the English Channel in October.
The two-month countdown by the Appledore Ladies Gig Club members has begun as they aim to raise £10,000 for the club.
Jan McLean, Naomi Cudmore, Linda Stella, Yvette Parkin, Zoe Sims, Emily Campbell Jones and Natasha Acres – plus veteran cox and Club Chairman, Len White, will be taking on the challenge in mid-October.
Natasha Acres, ladies captain, said the club was celebrating its 10th anniversary this year and was desperate to buy a new training boat.
You may also want to watch:
“We currently have one training gig and two wooden racing boats,” she said.
“However, because of the tidal waters, we are restricted to when the wooden boats can launch, which leaves our 70 members relying on one fibreglass boat to get a row.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
“It’s just not ideal. We’re hoping that by doing something as mad as rowing the Channel we’ll raise money to get more people on the water.”
The ladies have already begun training for the gruelling five-hour row, and have raised £1,000 towards their total so far.
Naomi Cudmore, the team’s fundraising lead, said: “Last week we heard that some ‘incredible comfy undergarments’ are on the way to us from Bamboo Clothing, which is a great start to our kit.
“There are lots of mini challenges within the project and this helps get one main problem covered – rowing for five hours will be taking its toll on our bottoms!
“Please get in touch if you can help.”
For more information on donating, contact Naomi on 01984 641359 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Donations can also be made online at http://www.appledoregigclub.com/pledges.php.