Appledore gets set for annual carnival
APPLEDORE'S carnival royalty are getting ready for their big day in the spotlight this Sunday. Carnival queen Laura Cloke and her entourage will be joined by a host of Jolly Rogers and colourful characters for the popular parade organised by local fund-ra
APPLEDORE'S carnival royalty are getting ready for their big day in the spotlight this Sunday.
Carnival queen Laura Cloke and her entourage will be joined by a host of Jolly Rogers and colourful characters for the popular parade organised by local fund-raising group the Appledore Pirates.
Laura, 11, will be accompanied by attendants Charlotte Strangeway, 11, and Georgia Passey, 8. Fairies Ellie Macdonald, 7, and Sophie Dearing-Eastmond, 8, and young pirate Brandon Bailey, 10, will also be at the helm of the fishing village's traditional procession.
The parade will gather at its usual meeting point in Staddon Road at around 3pm, with judging taking place at 3.30pm. It will set off at 4pm and head down Richmond Road, across the Quay to the Seagate car park, along Jubliee Road and Irsha Street and back to the main car park.
Organisers are holding a post-carnival party on Market Street next to the Royal and the Coach and Horses pubs which will both host live music.
The party is also set to reignite old rivalries with the return of the annual tug of war competition.
- 1 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 2 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 3 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 4 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
- 5 Store giants say Merry Christmas 9,000 times over
- 6 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 7 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 8 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 9 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 10 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
A firework display from the Richmond Dock will bring the proceedings to an end at around 9.30pm.
"It's not too late to enter," said carnival spokesperson Teresa Hammett. "Just come along at 3pm to Staddon Road and register and join in with the fun."
For more information, contact Teresa on (01237) 474847.