Appledore and Instow regatta
REGATTA time is on the way in Appledore and Instow, with a week of watery events in prospect. The main regatta will be held on Sunday, August 2, with events taking place on both sides of the River Torridge. Events on the water will start at about 2pm,
REGATTA time is on the way in Appledore and Instow, with a week of watery events in prospect.
The main regatta will be held on Sunday, August 2, with events taking place on both sides of the River Torridge.
Events on the water will start at about 2pm, with the usual sailing races at Instow and the West of England rowing at Appledore, for which there is a record entry of 28 races, including eights for the first time for many years.
There will be a ferry between Appledore and Instow operating on the day
You may also want to watch:
On Monday (Aug 3) there will be a local arts and crafts exhibition and sale in the Appledore Church from 2pm to 9pm.
Tuesday evening brings the local salmon boat races for the Championship of the Torridge. Open to all, any crews of up to four people who fancy their chances are welcome, with boats available. Racing from 6pm.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 8 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
There will be a fishing competition on Wednesday (Aug 5). Anywhere on the Appledore shore within the estuary. Open to all , more information from Angie Smale on 01237 429745
Thursday evening brings the annual Cornish Pilot Gig Challenge Sprint races from 6pm. Classes for seniors, ladies, juniors and veterans.
The popular International Crabbing Competition takes centre stage on Friday (Aug 7), starting from 6pm on Appledore Quay. Open to children of all ages. Teams of four, bring your own buckets and bait. It is also hoped to hold the popular outboard motor races from Appledore Quay, enter the same night.
Sailing races for "Gaffers" and lugsail boats will be held off Appledore Quay on Saturday from 6pm. Open to anyone whose boat has four sides to the sail.
Model yacht races will take place on Sunday afternoon (Aug 9) at low water on the sand ridge near the Royal George slipway. A sandcastle competition will also be held on the ridge. Start about 2.30 pm.
Regatta day at Instow includes a family sandcastle competition on the beach from 1pm and children's races from 2pm.