Appeal launched for new North Devon cancer support centre
- Credit: Archant
Fundraising for Barnstaple’s Heather Walter’s new campaign begins with Mt Meru climb.
A Barnstaple cancer survivor is kicking off a campaign to open North Devon’s first cancer support centre.
Heather Walters, 35, has raised around £30,000 for breast cancer awareness charity CoppaFeel since her diagnosis 18 months ago, and now that she’s been given the all-clear she’s keen to spearhead another big fundraising campaign.
The mum-of-two has already received huge local support from fitness experts and councillors and is on the look-out for suitable premises.
“I would love just a little homely house with a garden so cancer sufferers can just have a sanctuary to have a cup of tea and cake,” she said.
“I want people to be able to go and talk to others in the same position and have it as a real hub of information, signposting people to the services they need.
“They need one place where they can get everything they need to know about during and, especially, after treatment.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 3 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 4 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 5 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 6 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
- 7 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 8 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 9 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 10 OPINION: Surfers Not Street Children ambassadors visit Croyde
“I feel like that side of it is massively lacking, and I’m not alone in that.”
The support centre mission is starting with a bang, with a group of seven, including Heather’s husband Tristan and her dad Peter Youings, heading to Tanzania to climb Mount Meru next month.
Woolacombe Primary School teacher Tristan, 34, said it was his way of showing support for the cause.
“People have been fantastic in supporting Heather through a very challenging time for all of the family,” he said. “What’s she’s done has been inspiring.”
Make a donation instore at Youings in Barnstaple or at crowdfunding.justgiving.com/heather-walters