Appeal for on-call firefighters in Chulmleigh
Rural fire station needs you!
CHULMLEIGH fire station is on the look-out for new recruits to join its on-call crew.
No previous experience of fire fighting is necessary although candidates are expected to be committed to their community, have a positive attitude and a good level of fitness.
Retained firefighters must live or work within five minutes of the fire station to potentially save lives in fire, flood and road traffic emergencies.
The rural station is holding an open evening in New Street, Chulmleigh on Monday from 7-9pm.
A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “This is an opportunity for men and women; being on-call means that you provide a level of cover while at work or at home and when you are needed your pager will alert you to attend the station.
“People who can give cover during the day are particularly needed. Many people have primary occupations while on-call and the service has examples of employees in factories, shops, takeaways and restaurants who are on-call firefighters.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
“You need to be over 18 and have a good level of fitness and strength, but sometimes people overestimate the levels required and this can deter them, particularly women, from applying.
“The Service will give people advice and help in preparing for both the written and practical assessments. Equally, living with a disability is not automatically a barrier to operational fire fighting; it depends on the nature of the disability.
“Once you are recruited full training is provided.”