Apologise to them
Nicola Baglow is right (“Don’t pardon them”, Opinion, September 26). Bideford’s so-called witches should not be pardoned. Instead, the church and state that murdered them should apologise.
These women committed no crime as such. They were victims of an age when the casting of magic spells and flying on broomsticks were thought possible.
These women have nothing to be forgiven for. It was the church and state that committed what today can only be seen as a crime.
(Bideford town councillor, 2007-2011)
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 9 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
- 10 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal