AONB produces anniversary brochure
THE North Devon Coast Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty Partnership has produced a beautifully illustrated brochure outlining its development, future plans and special qualities to celebrate its 50th anniversary. Highlights include the series of Pers
THE North Devon Coast Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty Partnership has produced a beautifully illustrated brochure outlining its development, future plans and special qualities to celebrate its 50th anniversary.
Highlights include the series of "PersonalT", which members of the community, AONB Partnership and local officers wanted to share with others for them to enjoy.
These feature places within the area that hold special memories as well as beauty spots and areas of important historical or geological interest. AONB 'champion' comedian Bill Bailey has also talked about his favourite place.
A time line cleverly lists notable public events alongside important developments within the AONB such as 1961, when the first man went into space and the Somerset and North Devon Coast Path was designated.
You may also want to watch:
The brochure also contains information about the exciting anniversary events and activities programme, which is already underway. More dedicated and linked events will be announced shortly as well as plans for a grand finale.
Commenting on the golden anniversary, Rose Day, chairman of the North Devon Coast AONB, said: "During these last 50 years, enlightened stewardship has protected this very special landscape, while allowing it to adapt to changing times. Today, in additional to traditional 'bucket and spade' holidays, a wealth of exciting recreational and cultural activities are available."
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 4 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
The North Devon Coast AONB was designated on September 10, 1959 and confirmed on May 25, 1960 in recognition of its stunning coastal landscape, which is of national and international importance.
For 50 years, the Partnership has protected and conserved the area and will honour this landmark birthday with a series of events highlighting the different aspects of life, culture, history and wildlife across the region from September 2009 to May 2010.
Copies of the brochure are available free from libraries, tourist information centres and selected local attractions or it can be downloaded from the AONB's website, www.northdevon-aonb.org.uk, which also contains a wealth of information about the area.