Big wave surfer Andrew Cotton breaks back in Nazaré wipeout
- Credit: Olaf Pignataro / Red Bull
Andrew Cotton, famed for surfing monster waves at the Praia do Norte spot, reassured followers on social media after breaking his back in a giant wave wipeout.
North Devon’s big wave surfer Andrew Cotton has broken his back in a ‘significant’ wipeout in Nazaré.
The plumber from Braunton was captured on camera as he was swallowed by the monster wave at the surfing hotspot in Portugal.
Andrew - known to his friends as Cotty - posted on social media to his followers from his hospital bed, confirming he had broken his back.
His latest post on Facebook said: “So you’ve probably seen by now, I had a ‘significant’ wipeout today at Nazaré.
You may also want to watch:
“Split second decisions are neither right or wrong, but they can have consequences.
“I’m so grateful to everyone in the sea and on land who did a text book rescue to get me safely to hospital without further injury.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
“I can’t name them all but will thank everyone properly soon when I’m able to.
“I’ve got a dodgy vertebrae but no complications so will heal quickly. Looking forward to the rehab already.
“This footage is from @go_dids with @polikromia over on Insta while he was filming for Garrett McNamara.”
The shocking video has been viewed tens-of-thousands of times, with many in the surfing community wishing Cotty a speedy recovery.
Cotty is famed for his big wave surfing - in 2013 he made headlines when he surfed an 80ft ride at the same spot in Praia do Norte.