Ancient carols sung again in North Devon
TRADITIONAL Christmas carols that haven t been heard for decades have been revived by a local music group to be performed at churches across North Devon. The Exmoor Carolers are in the midst of a series of charity concerts that bring a stockingful of anc
TRADITIONAL Christmas carols that haven't been heard for decades have been revived by a local music group to be performed at churches across North Devon.
The Exmoor Carolers are in the midst of a series of charity concerts that bring a stockingful of ancient Yuletide songs to modern audiences.
Some of their recently rediscovered repertoire have not been sung for half a century or more and one even dates back to Cromwellian times when the singing of carols was banned by an Act of Parliament.
Research into some of the old carols of Exmoor led to the formation of the 12-strong group of experienced singers and instrumentalists keen to revive the old songs and preserve them for posterity.
You may also want to watch:
They have already begun a busy festive concert season and will be performing again on Friday at the Lavington United Reform Church in Bideford. For booking information call (01237) 478642.
Then on Friday, December 18 the group will be at St Peter's Church in Bittadon - booking (01271) 850230 - and on Saturday, December 19 at All Saints in High Bray - call (01598) 710417. All concerts start at 8pm.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
- 9 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
- 10 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
The Exmoor Carolers have also produced two CDs.