American judge ‘was robbed’ of Ilfracombe cruise visit
Retired Californian law maker and wife had been looking forward to visit before the weather forced a cancellation.
AN American judge and his wife who were looking forward to their trip to Ilfracombe aboard the cruise liner MS Rotterdam have expressed their disappointment at missing out after the visit was cancelled.
Veteran cruiser and retired Californian superior court judge Jeffery Giarde emailed Ilfracombe TIC to say he and his wife were among several who had been keen to spend time in the town after hearing how much work had been put in to welcoming the ship.
The 1,300 or so passengers aboard the MS Rotterdam were told by their captain on the Saturday that Sunday’s weather would be too windy to get them to shore safely.
The Ilfracombe Cruise Committee decided to continue with planned events, the High Street shops opened as planned and the town was bustling.
You may also want to watch:
In his email Judge Giarde said: “We were on our 102nd cruise when we were robbed of Ilfracombe by the weather.
“We were quite disappointed, as were others we have spoken with on the ship. Many passengers were planning on spending time in your community in light of all the effort the town was making for arrival of the ship.
- 1 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 2 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 3 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 8 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 9 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
“Leigh, my wife and I are extremely disappointed as we were very much looking forward to our visit to Ilfracombe and feel the poorer for it.
“You have been gracious and the town has our high regards even though we have never visited there.”
The judge said they might well return to visit England on their own and definitely planned to visit Ilfracombe if they did.
A smaller cruise ship of the Holland America, the MS Prinsendam, is scheduled to visit Ilfracombe on July 22.
The efforts put in to beautify the town before the big day did not go unnoticed, with many commenting online how nice it looked.