American judge ‘was robbed’ of Ilfracombe cruise visit
Retired Californian law maker and wife had been looking forward to visit before the weather forced a cancellation.
AN American judge and his wife who were looking forward to their trip to Ilfracombe aboard the cruise liner MS Rotterdam have expressed their disappointment at missing out after the visit was cancelled.
Veteran cruiser and retired Californian superior court judge Jeffery Giarde emailed Ilfracombe TIC to say he and his wife were among several who had been keen to spend time in the town after hearing how much work had been put in to welcoming the ship.
The 1,300 or so passengers aboard the MS Rotterdam were told by their captain on the Saturday that Sunday’s weather would be too windy to get them to shore safely.
The Ilfracombe Cruise Committee decided to continue with planned events, the High Street shops opened as planned and the town was bustling.
You may also want to watch:
In his email Judge Giarde said: “We were on our 102nd cruise when we were robbed of Ilfracombe by the weather.
“We were quite disappointed, as were others we have spoken with on the ship. Many passengers were planning on spending time in your community in light of all the effort the town was making for arrival of the ship.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
“Leigh, my wife and I are extremely disappointed as we were very much looking forward to our visit to Ilfracombe and feel the poorer for it.
“You have been gracious and the town has our high regards even though we have never visited there.”
The judge said they might well return to visit England on their own and definitely planned to visit Ilfracombe if they did.
A smaller cruise ship of the Holland America, the MS Prinsendam, is scheduled to visit Ilfracombe on July 22.
The efforts put in to beautify the town before the big day did not go unnoticed, with many commenting online how nice it looked.