All you need to know about standing for election
NORTH Devon Council is holding an event for local people who are interested in standing as a candidate in this year’s district election.
The event is taking place on Wednesday, March 9 in the Council Chamber at the Civic Centre from 7pm.
It will provide potential candidates and their agents with all the information they need about standing in this year’s district election.
It is free to attend and there is no need to book a place in advance.
Electoral services officer Judith Dark said: “The role of a district councillor is very important; it is a chance to get involved with the needs of the local area and local people. By taking on the role you are representing these needs and interests by acting as a contact between them and the council.
You may also want to watch:
“Councillors also get to participate in the political management of North Devon Council. All councillors agree the budget and the council’s policy framework. As well as this, some councillors may be asked to serve as members of panels, committees or the Executive.”
Following the event people who are interested in standing as a candidate have from March 14 until April 4 to put forward their application.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
For more about the event contact Judith Dark on (01271) 388277 or www.northdevon.gov.uk/elections.