Age isn’t the issue
I should like to respond to the anonymous letter in the Gazette regarding the Larkbear development and housing for young people (“Look to the future”, June 6).
It is sad that the language used by the writer is derogatory to “over 50s”.
The Larkbear Action Group has over 200 members and not all are over 50 – some are people with young families of all working ages, and it is fair to say that those I have spoken to share the views of the writer regarding the provision of houses for young local people making their way in North Devon.
I am confident that if the proposal was for an appropriately sized, environmentally friendly development exclusively for this purpose, there would be very little opposition.
Unfortunately this is not the case in respect of the Larkbear proposals.
You may also want to watch:
It is true that some of the houses will be “affordable” – available for rent via a housing association, I believe – but the remainder will be for sale on the open market and it is here that many local people will be disadvantaged because with the current low-wage economy of North Devon and current house prices they will be unaffordable.
The writer advises that we should concentrate on ensuring that the development is environmentally friendly and cost-effective to young couples. As much as we would love to be able to do so, this is outside of our control and I suspect also outside of the control of the council.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Chairman, Larkbear Action Group