Active approach for new chamber president
- Credit: Archant
The new president of the Bideford and District Chamber of Commerce has vowed to take a proactive approad to improve the town.
THE new president of the Bideford and District Chamber of Commerce has vowed to take a proactive approach to improve the town.
Paul Phipps, who has owned the Kings Arms on the Quay for the last 15 years, was elected to the post in April, taking over from former president John Emms.
At the chamber’s meeting last week, Mr Phipps laid out a list of 11 aims he hopes to achieve in the next year.
The goals include making car parks in Bideford barrier controlled, attracting funding for the area and creating a new bus service to the Pannier Market.
You may also want to watch:
“We have about 50 members at the moment but I want tradesmen in the town to see they have an active chamber who will represent them,” said Mr Phipps.
“People always associate the chamber with free parking; we do want two hour’s free parking in the town as we feel it will encourage people to stop here.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 6 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 9 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 10 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
“But we’ve also set out this list of aims which we feel are wholly achievable.”
Mr Phipps is also keen for the chamber to work together with Torridge District Council and Bideford Town Council.
He said: “It used to always be ‘us verses them’ with the town council but that has all disappeared now.
“It’s all for one of we all sink together as far as I am concerned now.”
The next meeting of the chamber of commerce will be held on the first Tuesday of September.