Accolade for North Devon magician
NORTH Devon magician Ian Adair is being featured worldwide on the front cover of the International Brotherhood of Magicians official magazine, The Linking Ring, which has a 200,000 circulation. The magazine also includes a 15-page article on Ian, applaud
NORTH Devon magician Ian Adair is being featured worldwide on the front cover of the International Brotherhood of Magicians' official magazine, The Linking Ring, which has a 200,000 circulation.
The magazine also includes a 15-page article on Ian, applauding his achievements during 60 years in the world of magic.
Originally from Kilmarnock in Scotland, he moved to Bideford as a boy. Magic took over his life after he was given a box of magic toys at the age of five. By the time he was eight, he was presenting shows in front of audiences and at 12 he first appeared on television.
He won first prize in the famous Carol Levis' Discoveries television show and had as an assistant Joan Collins, a starlet in those days. During the 1950s Ian appeared on more than 100 television shows and became a TV presenter, working at studios in Glasgow. He was voted Best Scottish Magician in 1959.
You may also want to watch:
National television work has included Blue Peter, Rainbow, Tiz-Waz, Nationwide, Paul Daniels' Magic Show, David Nixon's It's Magic Show and The Sooty Show.
In addition to Joan Collins, other assistants over the years have included Jill Dando, Valerie Singleton and Anthea Turner.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
Ian became well known locally after joining up with Edwin Hooper of the Supreme Magic Company in Bideford, of which he subsequently became a partner and was associated with for 36 years.
Supreme Magic became the largest such firm in the world, supplying magic products to top-magicians, among them David Nixon, Paul Daniels, Tommy Cooper, David Copperfield, Harry Corbett and Sooty.
Ian is one of magic's most prolific authors. Over the years he has had an amazing 264 books published, including huge encyclopaedias of magic, and he still writes for 20 trade magazines dealing with magic and the theatre.
He has also been actively involved in performing magic all over the UK and overseas.