Accolade for North Devon magician
NORTH Devon magician Ian Adair is being featured worldwide on the front cover of the International Brotherhood of Magicians official magazine, The Linking Ring, which has a 200,000 circulation. The magazine also includes a 15-page article on Ian, applaud
NORTH Devon magician Ian Adair is being featured worldwide on the front cover of the International Brotherhood of Magicians' official magazine, The Linking Ring, which has a 200,000 circulation.
The magazine also includes a 15-page article on Ian, applauding his achievements during 60 years in the world of magic.
Originally from Kilmarnock in Scotland, he moved to Bideford as a boy. Magic took over his life after he was given a box of magic toys at the age of five. By the time he was eight, he was presenting shows in front of audiences and at 12 he first appeared on television.
He won first prize in the famous Carol Levis' Discoveries television show and had as an assistant Joan Collins, a starlet in those days. During the 1950s Ian appeared on more than 100 television shows and became a TV presenter, working at studios in Glasgow. He was voted Best Scottish Magician in 1959.
You may also want to watch:
National television work has included Blue Peter, Rainbow, Tiz-Waz, Nationwide, Paul Daniels' Magic Show, David Nixon's It's Magic Show and The Sooty Show.
In addition to Joan Collins, other assistants over the years have included Jill Dando, Valerie Singleton and Anthea Turner.
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 4 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
- 9 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 10 Take on an Incredible Hike for Children’s Hospice South West
Ian became well known locally after joining up with Edwin Hooper of the Supreme Magic Company in Bideford, of which he subsequently became a partner and was associated with for 36 years.
Supreme Magic became the largest such firm in the world, supplying magic products to top-magicians, among them David Nixon, Paul Daniels, Tommy Cooper, David Copperfield, Harry Corbett and Sooty.
Ian is one of magic's most prolific authors. Over the years he has had an amazing 264 books published, including huge encyclopaedias of magic, and he still writes for 20 trade magazines dealing with magic and the theatre.
He has also been actively involved in performing magic all over the UK and overseas.