Abandoned tent sparks coastline search
Clovelly lifeboat crew find no trace of occupants
THE Clovelly inshore lifeboat searched the shoreline from Clovelly to Westward Ho! after a tent and belongings were found abandoned near Rocks Nose.
The Spirit of Clovelly was launched early on Friday morning at the request of the Coastguard. A German visitor reported that the tent had been unoccupied for three days.
Three sleeping bags were found inside, but there was no information on the whereabouts of the occupants.
An extensive joint search was carried out with the police and Coastguard, but nothing was found and the lifeboat returned to station.
You may also want to watch:
Clovelly lifeboat spokesman Dan Garnett said: “The volunteer lifeboat crew were pleased to help in trying to solve this mystery.
“During the busy holiday season, we do get strange reports that need careful investigation and would like to thank members of the public for keeping their eyes open and reporting incidents to the Coastguard.”
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 7 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
The annual Lifeboat Day was held in Clovedlly yesterday (Sunday) and together with money from a sponsored swim on Saturday, raised at least �2,000. The two-mile open sea swim from Bucks Mills to Clovelly attracted 29 entrants.