Abandoned tent sparks coastline search
Clovelly lifeboat crew find no trace of occupants
THE Clovelly inshore lifeboat searched the shoreline from Clovelly to Westward Ho! after a tent and belongings were found abandoned near Rocks Nose.
The Spirit of Clovelly was launched early on Friday morning at the request of the Coastguard. A German visitor reported that the tent had been unoccupied for three days.
Three sleeping bags were found inside, but there was no information on the whereabouts of the occupants.
An extensive joint search was carried out with the police and Coastguard, but nothing was found and the lifeboat returned to station.
You may also want to watch:
Clovelly lifeboat spokesman Dan Garnett said: “The volunteer lifeboat crew were pleased to help in trying to solve this mystery.
“During the busy holiday season, we do get strange reports that need careful investigation and would like to thank members of the public for keeping their eyes open and reporting incidents to the Coastguard.”
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
The annual Lifeboat Day was held in Clovedlly yesterday (Sunday) and together with money from a sponsored swim on Saturday, raised at least �2,000. The two-mile open sea swim from Bucks Mills to Clovelly attracted 29 entrants.