A39 death probe
AN investigation is under way after a man left an ambulance and was then fatally injured in an accident on the A39 in the early hours of Sunday. Police said the 32-year-old from Glasgow died after an accident involving a white Nissan Almera at Huish Moor,
AN investigation is under way after a man left an ambulance and was then fatally injured in an accident on the A39 in the early hours of Sunday.
Police said the 32-year-old from Glasgow died after an accident involving a white Nissan Almera at Huish Moor, midway between Bideford and Barnstaple at around 2.30am.
It is understood the man - who has not yet been named - was being taken by ambulance to North Devon District Hospital, in Barnstaple.
A spokesperson for South Western Ambulance Service said they could categorically state the patient did not fall out of the vehicle but could not comment further at this stage.
"An investigation will be undertaken and we will be happy to share that once we have the outcome," they said.
After the accident the man was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 5.06am.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 7 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 10 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
The driver of the car was uninjured.
The road between the Roundswell roundabout at Barnstaple and the Westleigh junction near Bideford was closed until just after midday on Sunday to enable police to carry out investigation work.
Police are appealing for anyone who witnessed the accident to contact them on 08452 777444 and quote log 180 130610.