A39 crash victim named by police
- Credit: Archant
Penelope Woolaway, 67, from Appledore was pronounced dead at the scene after collision near Bideford on Saturday.
A WOMAN who was killed in a collision on the A39 near Bideford on Saturday has been named by police.
Penelope Woolaway 67, from Appledore, was the passenger in a red Ford Ka which was travelling from Barnstaple.
The Ka was involved in a collision with a Volkswagen Scirocco, travelling from Bideford, which happened shortly after 1.30pm.
Mrs Woolaway was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver, a 56-year-old man, was airlifted to Derriford Hospital with serious head injuries.
You may also want to watch:
The 69-year-old driver of the Scirocco was taken to North Devon District Hospital with serious leg injuries.
Both men are still in hospital in a serious condition.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
The A39 was closed in both directions from the Heywood Road roundabout in Bideford to the Roundswell roundabout in Barnstaple for several hours and reopened at 9.30pm.
Police said a formal investigation was now under way to establish the cause of the crash.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to call 101 quoting log number 440 of February 22.