A39 closed due to five-car smash
Long tailbacks reported in both directions following roundabout crash
A SECTION of the A39 near Bideford has been closed due to a five-vehicle accident at the Heywood roundabout.
The roundabout and new bridge have been shut to traffic with diversions in place at the Westleigh Junction and at the B3236 Buckleigh Road. Long tailbacks have been reported in both directions.
The incident at around 11.25am today (Friday) involved a blue Daihatsu from Umberleigh, a red Peugeot from Barnstaple, a red Ford Focus from Bideford and white vans from Barnstaple and Wolverhampton.
One person has been taken to North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple on a spinal board but police described others caught up in the collision as “walking wounded”.
You may also want to watch:
A dog ran from one of the vehicles but was recovered and taken to a local vet with a cut paw.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area if possible.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 7 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 10 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
The road between Filleigh and Swimbridge is also reported to be closed in both directions due to an accident