A39 closed due to five-car smash
Long tailbacks reported in both directions following roundabout crash
A SECTION of the A39 near Bideford has been closed due to a five-vehicle accident at the Heywood roundabout.
The roundabout and new bridge have been shut to traffic with diversions in place at the Westleigh Junction and at the B3236 Buckleigh Road. Long tailbacks have been reported in both directions.
The incident at around 11.25am today (Friday) involved a blue Daihatsu from Umberleigh, a red Peugeot from Barnstaple, a red Ford Focus from Bideford and white vans from Barnstaple and Wolverhampton.
One person has been taken to North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple on a spinal board but police described others caught up in the collision as “walking wounded”.
You may also want to watch:
A dog ran from one of the vehicles but was recovered and taken to a local vet with a cut paw.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area if possible.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 9 Selaine Saxby's Henry to compete for Westminster Dog of the Year
- 10 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
The road between Filleigh and Swimbridge is also reported to be closed in both directions due to an accident