A39 closed due to five-car smash
Long tailbacks reported in both directions following roundabout crash
A SECTION of the A39 near Bideford has been closed due to a five-vehicle accident at the Heywood roundabout.
The roundabout and new bridge have been shut to traffic with diversions in place at the Westleigh Junction and at the B3236 Buckleigh Road. Long tailbacks have been reported in both directions.
The incident at around 11.25am today (Friday) involved a blue Daihatsu from Umberleigh, a red Peugeot from Barnstaple, a red Ford Focus from Bideford and white vans from Barnstaple and Wolverhampton.
One person has been taken to North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple on a spinal board but police described others caught up in the collision as “walking wounded”.
You may also want to watch:
A dog ran from one of the vehicles but was recovered and taken to a local vet with a cut paw.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area if possible.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 9 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton
The road between Filleigh and Swimbridge is also reported to be closed in both directions due to an accident