A39 closed due to five-car smash
Long tailbacks reported in both directions following roundabout crash
A SECTION of the A39 near Bideford has been closed due to a five-vehicle accident at the Heywood roundabout.
The roundabout and new bridge have been shut to traffic with diversions in place at the Westleigh Junction and at the B3236 Buckleigh Road. Long tailbacks have been reported in both directions.
The incident at around 11.25am today (Friday) involved a blue Daihatsu from Umberleigh, a red Peugeot from Barnstaple, a red Ford Focus from Bideford and white vans from Barnstaple and Wolverhampton.
One person has been taken to North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple on a spinal board but police described others caught up in the collision as “walking wounded”.
A dog ran from one of the vehicles but was recovered and taken to a local vet with a cut paw.
Motorists are advised to avoid the area if possible.
- 1 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 2 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 3 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 4 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 5 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 6 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 7 Refresh your New Year’s wardrobe by donating unwanted clothes for a good cause
- 8 Covid-19 ventilation advice for North Devon landlords
- 9 Together we can look forward to 2022
- 10 North Devon Weekend Football Results
The road between Filleigh and Swimbridge is also reported to be closed in both directions due to an accident