Police close A361 near Ashford following crash
- Credit: Archant
Police have closed the A361 this morning following a crash.
The eastbound dual carriageway from Braunton to Barnstaple is shut after the accident between Strand Lane and Chaddiford Lane.
The accident took place at around 8am this morning (Wednesday), with traffic near Barnstaple coming to a standstill.
Police confirmed a vehicle collided with a lamppost, with the collision causing a fuel leak and exposing live wires, completely blocking the road.
Paramedics are treating the driver of the vehicle, although injuries are not believed to be serious.
You may also want to watch:
Road users are advised to avoid the area for the time being.
North and West Devon Chief Inspector Alison Lander asked road users to be patient while the crash is being dealt with.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 4 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 7 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 8 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 9 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 10 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
In a tweet, she said: “Officers dealing with a collision on the Braunton dual carriage way. Barnstaple bound lanes are now closed. Be Patient with us whilst we deal.”
Fire crews from Barnstaple have attended the scene, making the vehicle safe using small tools.
Stagecoach South West has also warned of long delays to its 21 service due to the collision.
Update: The A361 was reopened just before midday.