A triple comment
SIR - I think that it’s bizarre and wrong that the general public, who cannot possibly gather enough information about the eligibility of the candidates, are asked to vote for new Police and Crime Commissioners.
Conversely, Ilfracombe town council, followed by North Devon Council alone, which is a small group of people, have got the power to pass planning consent for the erection of the giant Damien Hirst statue on Ilfracombes pier for the next 20 years.
Something so large, peculiar and sited in such a prominent position should have clearly been decided by referendum of the town’s people.
Having now seen the statue erected it appears very well engineered but I really think that it is desperately wrong in that place.
Further to this, I would like to congratulate Stephen Tindall for his excellent and wise letter in last week’s Gazette supporting wind farms. I am one that loves the beauty of the countryside in Devon but I also believe in eco friendly power generation.
You may also want to watch:
We need to make the right choices now and not be so influenced by our greed that we mess up the climate for our children.
Robin Goodwin, Ilfracombe.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple