A solution to the Westleigh black spot
SIR – With reference to the story on your website, Council leader to visit North Devon accident black spot (Westleigh on the link road): This junction was originally designed with a limb on the south side mirroring the existing approach to the north, w
SIR - With reference to the story on your website, 'Council leader to visit North Devon accident black spot' (Westleigh on the link road):
This junction was originally designed with a limb on the south side mirroring the existing approach to the north, with a second mini roundabout at the bottom providing the junction with the Westleigh Straight.
This limb was deleted at the time the road was downgraded from a dual carriageway in order to save money.
The only satisfactory solution is to reinstate this element of the original design. With significant additional housing and a large Tesco store in East-the-Water, a further roundabout on the link road at this location would serve only to replicate the peak flow congestion already experienced at the Heywood Road and Roundswell roundabouts. But as with almost everything else in this part of North Devon, I expect we shall be expected to settle for second best!
You may also want to watch:
William Isaac, Bideford .
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 4 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 5 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice