A solution to the Westleigh black spot
SIR – With reference to the story on your website, Council leader to visit North Devon accident black spot (Westleigh on the link road): This junction was originally designed with a limb on the south side mirroring the existing approach to the north, w
SIR - With reference to the story on your website, 'Council leader to visit North Devon accident black spot' (Westleigh on the link road):
This junction was originally designed with a limb on the south side mirroring the existing approach to the north, with a second mini roundabout at the bottom providing the junction with the Westleigh Straight.
This limb was deleted at the time the road was downgraded from a dual carriageway in order to save money.
The only satisfactory solution is to reinstate this element of the original design. With significant additional housing and a large Tesco store in East-the-Water, a further roundabout on the link road at this location would serve only to replicate the peak flow congestion already experienced at the Heywood Road and Roundswell roundabouts. But as with almost everything else in this part of North Devon, I expect we shall be expected to settle for second best!
You may also want to watch:
William Isaac, Bideford .
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'