A solution to the Westleigh black spot
SIR – With reference to the story on your website, Council leader to visit North Devon accident black spot (Westleigh on the link road): This junction was originally designed with a limb on the south side mirroring the existing approach to the north, w
SIR - With reference to the story on your website, 'Council leader to visit North Devon accident black spot' (Westleigh on the link road):
This junction was originally designed with a limb on the south side mirroring the existing approach to the north, with a second mini roundabout at the bottom providing the junction with the Westleigh Straight.
This limb was deleted at the time the road was downgraded from a dual carriageway in order to save money.
The only satisfactory solution is to reinstate this element of the original design. With significant additional housing and a large Tesco store in East-the-Water, a further roundabout on the link road at this location would serve only to replicate the peak flow congestion already experienced at the Heywood Road and Roundswell roundabouts. But as with almost everything else in this part of North Devon, I expect we shall be expected to settle for second best!
You may also want to watch:
William Isaac, Bideford .
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 3 Two charged with attempted murder after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Burglars hit Ilfracombe business twice in three days
- 6 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 9 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 10 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford