A ridiculous ruling?
SIR - I was very pleased to see that North Devon Council has decided to burden our already overstretched policemen by asking them to issue ASBOs to children jumping off the sea walls in Ilfracombe. I am sure it must be an extremely dangerous thing to do,
SIR - I was very pleased to see that North Devon Council has decided to burden our already overstretched policemen by asking them to issue ASBOs to children jumping off the sea walls in Ilfracombe.
I am sure it must be an extremely dangerous thing to do, although I admit to not having seen records of the deaths and serious injuries caused by a pastime enjoyed by countless children over the centuries.
I am aware that children have died or been seriously injured falling from Hillsborough and Capstone over the years.
I would therefore like to put foward the suggestion that children should be stopped from enjoying all dangerous pursuits practised in or near the sea, particularly around Ilfracombe - swimming, canoeing, rock climbing and fishing, for instance.
You may also want to watch:
In fact, why don't we ban children from participating in any outdoor pursuit; with real effort, it should be possible to ban them from British seaside resorts altogether.
Isn't this ridiculous ruling just encouraging youngsters to pursue more normal pursuits, like hanging around on street corners, glue sniffing, chewing gum and spitting?
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 5 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 6 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 7 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 8 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 9 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 10 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
We should force all children to sit and watch the Ilfracombe Birdman competition, so that they understand quite clearly why the policeman who issued their ASBO is jumping off the pier in a funny costume. The law is quite clear: Do as we say, not do as we do.
I would like to suggest another new sport - throwing cretins off Ilfracombe pier. Please feel free to write if you would like to join the club.
R Dabney, Ilfracombe.