A ridiculous ruling?
SIR - I was very pleased to see that North Devon Council has decided to burden our already overstretched policemen by asking them to issue ASBOs to children jumping off the sea walls in Ilfracombe. I am sure it must be an extremely dangerous thing to do,
SIR - I was very pleased to see that North Devon Council has decided to burden our already overstretched policemen by asking them to issue ASBOs to children jumping off the sea walls in Ilfracombe.
I am sure it must be an extremely dangerous thing to do, although I admit to not having seen records of the deaths and serious injuries caused by a pastime enjoyed by countless children over the centuries.
I am aware that children have died or been seriously injured falling from Hillsborough and Capstone over the years.
I would therefore like to put foward the suggestion that children should be stopped from enjoying all dangerous pursuits practised in or near the sea, particularly around Ilfracombe - swimming, canoeing, rock climbing and fishing, for instance.
You may also want to watch:
In fact, why don't we ban children from participating in any outdoor pursuit; with real effort, it should be possible to ban them from British seaside resorts altogether.
Isn't this ridiculous ruling just encouraging youngsters to pursue more normal pursuits, like hanging around on street corners, glue sniffing, chewing gum and spitting?
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Covid-19 measures in Devon care homes to continue
We should force all children to sit and watch the Ilfracombe Birdman competition, so that they understand quite clearly why the policeman who issued their ASBO is jumping off the pier in a funny costume. The law is quite clear: Do as we say, not do as we do.
I would like to suggest another new sport - throwing cretins off Ilfracombe pier. Please feel free to write if you would like to join the club.
R Dabney, Ilfracombe.