A nice little earner?
- Credit: Archant
Oh dear! So North Devon Council proposes to sell off assets to enable it to balance the books (Gazette, June 5, front page).
Not a good idea, as any debt adviser would tell you. If you cannot finance your day to day needs, taking on debt or selling the silver is not a long-term solution.
I note that Councillor Cann is involved in this latest money-saving idea from our council. Was it not Cllr Cann who said he could save millions by taking the recycling contract away from South Molton Recycle, then proceeded to lose millions when it was taken in-house?
Talk of “very valuable assets”, “a significant funding pot” and “a nice little earner” do not fill me with confidence that Mr Cann and NDC know what they are doing.
If the council have been sitting on these assets, why were they not disposed of earlier, and the proceeds invested in projects to benefit the community?
You may also want to watch:
Selling them now won’t solve the shortfall in funding from government – only economies and efficiencies will solve that problem.
- 1 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 4 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 8 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 9 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience