A nice little earner?
- Credit: Archant
Oh dear! So North Devon Council proposes to sell off assets to enable it to balance the books (Gazette, June 5, front page).
Not a good idea, as any debt adviser would tell you. If you cannot finance your day to day needs, taking on debt or selling the silver is not a long-term solution.
I note that Councillor Cann is involved in this latest money-saving idea from our council. Was it not Cllr Cann who said he could save millions by taking the recycling contract away from South Molton Recycle, then proceeded to lose millions when it was taken in-house?
Talk of “very valuable assets”, “a significant funding pot” and “a nice little earner” do not fill me with confidence that Mr Cann and NDC know what they are doing.
If the council have been sitting on these assets, why were they not disposed of earlier, and the proceeds invested in projects to benefit the community?
You may also want to watch:
Selling them now won’t solve the shortfall in funding from government – only economies and efficiencies will solve that problem.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 10 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar