A minority view
Your correspondent Richard Courtnage (“Fire fight isn’t right”, Opinion, January 23) writes that local residents should be prepared to accept proposed cuts coming from the Devon & Somerset Fire Authority.
I suspect that he is way out of line with by far the greater majority of local residents with his views.
Our local team of retained and part-time fire fighters provides a fantastic service locally, but they cannot provide the daytime service our full-time service provides in the event of a fire.
The difference with getting to the fire situation between the two can be five to ten minutes – and this can be vital with fire spread. So my advice to Mr Courtnage is this – if Ilfracombe should lose its full-time fire service as a result of these proposals, don’t start playing with matches as you could lose your accommodation as a result!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new