A minority view
Your correspondent Richard Courtnage (“Fire fight isn’t right”, Opinion, January 23) writes that local residents should be prepared to accept proposed cuts coming from the Devon & Somerset Fire Authority.
I suspect that he is way out of line with by far the greater majority of local residents with his views.
Our local team of retained and part-time fire fighters provides a fantastic service locally, but they cannot provide the daytime service our full-time service provides in the event of a fire.
The difference with getting to the fire situation between the two can be five to ten minutes – and this can be vital with fire spread. So my advice to Mr Courtnage is this – if Ilfracombe should lose its full-time fire service as a result of these proposals, don’t start playing with matches as you could lose your accommodation as a result!
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford