A minority view
Your correspondent Richard Courtnage (“Fire fight isn’t right”, Opinion, January 23) writes that local residents should be prepared to accept proposed cuts coming from the Devon & Somerset Fire Authority.
I suspect that he is way out of line with by far the greater majority of local residents with his views.
Our local team of retained and part-time fire fighters provides a fantastic service locally, but they cannot provide the daytime service our full-time service provides in the event of a fire.
The difference with getting to the fire situation between the two can be five to ten minutes – and this can be vital with fire spread. So my advice to Mr Courtnage is this – if Ilfracombe should lose its full-time fire service as a result of these proposals, don’t start playing with matches as you could lose your accommodation as a result!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed