A helping hand at Christmas from Barnstaple Lions
Lions make its annual donation to charities for the homeless
BARNSTAPLE Lions Club is helping to spread a little extra Christmas cheer with its annual donation for those in need.
Both Barnstaple Salvation Army and Barnstaple Poverty Action Group have received cash grants to help provide food parcels and support for those who might not otherwise be able to eat properly this Christmas.
As ever, whilst Christmas time is meant to be a happy one, for many people it is just the opposite and often proves the busiest time for charities.
The Salvation Army is busy putting together food parcels that will be distributed to local people who need them, as is BPAG, which also runs soup kitchens around the district.
These take place in Barnstaple every Tuesday at the Parish Rooms beside the Parish Church in the town centre, from 10am 1.30pm, with hot food served from 12 noon.
There is another at the Ilfracombe Salvation Army Hall, Torrs Park Road on Fridays and at the Happy Caf� in Westward Ho on Thursday, both also from 10am-1.30pm.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 4 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 5 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 6 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 7 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 8 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 9 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 10 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers