A chilly charity challenge in Combe Martin
Dippers hit the water with Valentine’s CLIC Sargent fund raiser
PASSIONATE St Valentine’s Day swimmers dived into a different embrace on Sunday – the cold and murky waters of the Bristol Channel!
The brave souls, many in fancy dress, took the chilly plunge as part of an annual fund raising dip at Combe Martin to raise money for children’s cancer charity CLIC Sargent.
The Ilfracombe RNLI Inshore Lifeboat stood by for safety but their services were thankfully not required.
The funds are still being counted but more than �600 was raised on the day and more is still coming in. It will go to the CLIC Sargent charitable partnership with Tesco that aims to raise �5 million to fund specialist cancer nurses.
You may also want to watch:
The charity has thanked everyone who took part as well as The Royal Marine Hotel for their kind hospitality, Ilfracombe Coastguard, St John Ambulance and members of the CLIC Sargent North Devon Branch for help on the day.
To make a donation in support of those who braved the winter sea at Combe Martin, make cheques payable to CLIC Sargent and send to: Rosannah Whitehurst, CLIC Sargent, Valentines Dip, Unit 2 Halthaies, Bradninch, Devon EX5 4LQ. Or visit www.clicsargent-tesco.org.uk to find out more about the appeal.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 8 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'