75 firefighters battle Torrington thatch blaze
FIREFIGHTERS from all over Devon worked through the night to tackle a fire that threatened to destroy a row of Grade Two listed thatch cottages near Torrington on Saturday. At the height of the blaze, 75 firemen battled flames, thought to have spread from
FIREFIGHTERS from all over Devon worked through the night to tackle a fire that threatened to destroy a row of Grade Two listed thatch cottages near Torrington on Saturday.
At the height of the blaze, 75 firemen battled flames, thought to have spread from a kitchen at the end-terrace home in Kingscott.
Crews from Bideford, Torrington, Barnstaple, Appledore, Hatherleigh, Chulmleigh, Ilfracombe, Okehampton, Hartland, Braunton, South Molton, Tavistock, North Tawton, Middlemoor, Chagford, Crediton and as far away as Exmouth worked from midnight until 5pm on Saturday.
The end terrace - one of a range of four, two storey thatched properties forming an L shape - was almost completely destroyed but firefighters managed to save neighbouring properties by forming a fire break in the thatched roof.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford Group Commander Alan Coxon said: "Although it is very upsetting for the residents of the property, the incident could have been a lot worse.
"We could quite easily have been looking at fire spreading to the entire building but thanks to fire breaks made in thatch, other properties in terrace were unaffected by fire.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton