£70,000 of improvements made to North Devon District Hospital A&E
- Credit: Archant
New setup includes major and minor areas to improve patient experience
THE A&E department at North Devon District Hospital has undergone a £70,000 refurbishment aimed at improving the experience of patients.
Patients are now seen in separate, dedicated majors and minors areas, depending on the severity of their condition.
The number of majors bays has been increased from seven to 10, allowing patients arriving by ambulance to be seen and treated more quickly.
The minors area contains four bays and is now led by nurse practitioners.
You may also want to watch:
Under the new set-up, patients with minor injuries and illnesses can be seen, treated and discharged in a more timely manner.
Dr Alison Diamond, medical director for the Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust, said: “We are confident the new model of delivery and improved environment will enhance the experience, privacy and dignity of patients attending A&E.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
“The changes will help to improve the flow of patients through the hospital, particularly during peak periods, and enable us to transfer patients from ambulances into A&E more quickly.”
The A&E also has a new pedestrian entrance, triage and treatment room, and children’s waiting area.
The revamp is part of the Trust’s Emergency Hub project, which aims to develop assessment and A&E services in one location.