400 chase just 15 jobs
Interest in summer jobs has ‘doubled’ at Bideford theme park.
NEARLY 400 people have applied for just 15 job places up for grabs at a North Devon theme park.
The Big Sheep, near Bideford, began advertising the seasonal positions at the beginning of the month, but said it had been overwhelmed by the response this year.
Interest in the full and part-time jobs, being offered from April until the end of October, has shot up by 50 per cent this year, according to the Abbotsham attraction.
Positions on offer include openings for cleaners; caf� and shop assistants; ride and playground supervisors; reception and admission staff; and a marketing assistant.
You may also want to watch:
Spokesperson Anne Tattersall said: “I think it highlights the economic climate that we’re in. The applications have come from people of all age groups and with varying degrees of education.
“Some of the applicants are university graduates and some are fresh out of school. Other applications are from people who have recently been made redundant; all are from North Devon area, with the exception of two from Cornwall.”
- 1 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 4 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 5 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 8 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 9 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
The theme park employs 25 people full-time and up to 100 in the summer season. It attracts upwards of 127,000 visitors a year. Around 40 applicants were invited to attend a group interview last week and further interviews sessions are scheduled to take place in the next few weeks.
“We’re a good employer for the area but unfortunately, we can’t take them all,” said Mrs Tattersall.