�1 million re-development makes big difference to Braunton school
A �1 million re-development of Braunton Caen Primary School will be officially opened this month. The project has provided three purpose-built new classrooms and a raft of other specialist facilities. It will be officially opened by the chairman of Devo
A �1 million re-development of Braunton Caen Primary School will be officially opened this month.
The project has provided three purpose-built new classrooms and a raft of other specialist facilities.
It will be officially opened by the chairman of Devon County Council, John Berry, at 2.15pm on Friday, October 23.
The three new classrooms for the school's youngest pupils all have linked, covered outdoor spaces.
You may also want to watch:
In addition the refurbishment work has provided a new kitchen for Food Technology, a music room, a second library, a third ICT room and areas for small group work.
There are also new shower facilities, a Foundation Stage outdoor area with covered space, improved garden spaces with a soon-to-be constructed fitness trail, a new playground and sports area and a bicycle store by the Tarka Cycle Trail. The gates and fencing have also been improved.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 10 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
The school's Parent Teacher Association has provided �3,000 of new books to equip the library.
Head teacher Karen Crutchfield said: "The new buildings and widespread refurbishment and improvements to our outdoor facilities give us scope to provide improved opportunities to all our children.
"The new build has enhanced the whole site and helped us to enliven the whole school with all the other refurbishment and improvement work which has been completed in the last two years.
"It has certainly enhanced the educational provision which we can offer to all the children.
"Our excellent PTA has supported the improvements at the school by providing books and furniture for two libraries, by supporting funding for a kitchen and through their voluntary work in helping to paint and repair all around the site.
"It is a joy to show new families around our fabulous school."
Local county councillor Caroline Chugg said: "I am delighted to see this investment of almost �1 million by Devon County Council in the facilities for the pupils at Braunton Caen.
"We need to maintain our local village schools which lead to a vibrant and sustainable community with strong ties to the village.
"I know the extension is already making a big difference to the staff and children at the school.