Pony racing comes to Cornwall on Sunday when the East Cornwall hold two races before their meeting at Great Trethew.
It is the first time the sport has been held in Cornwall under the PRA banner, although many ex-point to point riders can remember competing on the pony racing circuit around Tintagel in the 1970s!
There are nine entered in the 138 race, including Buckfastleigh winner Bejowanâ€™s Bouquet, multiple winner Bronze Lawrance and challengers Talponciau Perfect Print and Ravara Super Ted. Riders will have to be at their fittest up the finishing hill.
The 148 course looks to be one for Missoopsadaisy although the pony was pulled out lame from the Mendip races last weekend. Partnered by Donald Comer Calder, she looks to be the one to challenge Bryony Frostâ€™s domination, if sound enough to run, despite being owned by the same family, and can give the upand coming rider Comer Calder his first win. Donâ€™t discount Vadlawalkover who was a good second to another ex Frost pony, Calypso, at Mendip Farmers on Sunday and will have come on for that run. It is a stayers course at Trethew with the 148 riders completing a mile and a quarter of the undulating course.It may be that holding up will prove the best policy, and it will test the ridersâ€™ skills.
RACE 1 138cm
1. Bejowans Bouquet, Tina Smith
2. Bronze Lawrance, Hannah Welch
3. Clonageera Maybe, Donald Comer-Calder
4. Diptford Malika, Elizabeth Langton
5. Ginger Wizard, Jake Bament
6. My Golden Dream, Micheal Treneer
7. Ravara Super Ted, Anna Wotton
8. Talponciau Perfect Print, Barnaby Treneer
9. Victoria Plum, Megan Lawrence
RACE 2 148cm
1. Dinky Dude, Laura Horsley
2. Flareon, Heidi Lewis
3. Lesaigles Delbosco, Barnaby Treneer
4. Missoopsadaisy, Donald Comer-Calder
5. Petite Pois, Pippa Glanville
6. Tarka, Bryony Frost
7. Vadlawalkover, Hannah Welch
North Devon Gazette Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.