Lynton see off Sporting

Joseph Bulmer

Blow to Barum’s title challenge

INTERMEDIATE One leaders Lynton & Lynmouth returned to league action with a big win against title rivals Sporting Barum on Saturday.

A depleted Sporting side slipped to a 3-1 half-time deficit as Martyn Phillips bagged three at a swirling Holman Park, which played host to its first game in more than two months.

After the break, Ben Walters scored a second for the visitors who pushed hard to rescue the game. Chris Peacock settled the match with Lynton’s fourth.

Second-place Wrey Arms continued their run after coming from behind twice against a “tricky” AFC Anchor side.

The Wrey went one down but replied through Marc Churchill. Anchor took the lead again but the visitors produced a great second half performance to win the game 5-3 thanks to doubles by Simon Larcombe and Joe Gillard.

All three points went to Clovelly in the derby with Woolsery Reserves.

Clovelly played with the wind in the first half but could only breach an 11-man defence on one occasion, Kieren Vanstone finding the keys to the “parked bus”.

A fiery half-time grilling by manager – and new dad – Dave Keene did the trick as Simon Beeby made it 2-0 45 seconds after the re-start.

A mistake let Marc Clarke in to pull one back for Woolsery but Beeby scored a second to restore the two-goal cushion.

The visitors responded by putting three up front and grabbed a goal back through Sam Bissett to make it 3-1 but they were unable to find an equaliser.

The two sides meet again in the Arlington Cup on Saturday.

There was an outstanding 2-0 win for Northam Lions Reserves against a Merton side that is beginning to bow out of this season’s title race.

Charlie Harding had hit the upright five times for the Lions before he eventually fired them into a second half lead.

Cosmo Ayres scored the second for the hosts to secure the points.

Braunton Thirds’ Toby Bennett scored a hat-trick of free-kicks in an 8-2 win at home to Buckland Brewer.

Wayne Thomas also scored three for Braunton and there were two for Jack Birch as Brewer struggled to get going in their first game for two months.

A close range header by teenager Finn Pittwood narrowed a 4-0 goal deficit sustained in the first half hour and Aiden Clarke gave the visitors more hope in the second half when his deep cross drifted over the keeper from wide on the wing.

Brewer’s new young keeper, Jake Westcott was given a baptism of fire as the shots and curling crosses flew in from all angles; and as legs began to tire in the latter stages, Braunton easily went on to score an additional four goals.

Landkey Town failed to raise a team for their fixture at Putford Reserves.