Win a takeaway at The Ilfracombe Fryer worth �15!
Its National Chip Week between February 20-26, so we are giving you the chance to win a takeaway at The Ilfracombe Fryer (up to the value of �15)!
As a nation we have been enjoying chips for more than 150 years. To celebrate National Chip Week the Potato Council set out to discover what it is that keeps the British love affair with chips alive.
According to chip fans across the country it’s down to their taste, tempting aroma and even their texture, but scientists believe there’s more to the popularity of chips than that,
A recent survey confirmed that 87% of the populatuon love chips! Experts at Aston University’s School of Life and Health services have delved deeper to uncover the science behind just why we love chips so much, The study revealed that after eating chips people experienced a 10% increase in calmness and a 13% increase in cheerfulness.
Dr Mike Green, who led the research, said: “The consumption of chips clearly improved respondants’ mood. The psyschological data showed that participants who were feeling down felt better after eating chips.
You may also want to watch:
“In fact, calmness was restored within 20 minutes. There are a number of possible nutritional and psychological mechanisms which could explain the mood changes after eating chips. It may be down to the biological effects of nutritional components on brain chemistry or simply a pleasurable oro-stimulatory sensation, triggered by the way that chips taste.”
Each year we enjoy 255 million fish and chip shop meals and more than half a billion meals containing home-made chips. So it is no surprise that nearly 3000 growers are working hard throughout the year to provide all the potatoes needed for us to enjoy chips.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
To enter simply answer the following question:
What percentage of the population of Britain loves chips?
Then click on the link to the top right of this page to enter your answer, along with your name and contact details.
TERMS: Entries must be received by Thursday, February 23, when a winner will be picked at random. The usual North Devon Gazette competition rules apply and the editor’s decision is final. The prize cannot be exchanged.